Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Marriage in Panama


Fill out the application for a marriage license before the competent court for the jurisdiction where at least one of the parties lives.

  1. Health Certificate for both parties, which includes: a) General Medical Exam; b) lab tests: VDRL (Venereal Disease Research Laboratory), Biometría hemática (Complete Blood Count), Electroforesis de hemoglobin (Hemoglobin Electrophoresis), Urinalysis, HIV/AIDS test. The health certificate must be issued within the 15 days prior to the ceremony by a registered physician.
  2. Birth Certificate, issued in your country of origin. 
  3. Birth Certificates of existing children of either party.
  4. If the parties have not been previously married, a certificate of single status (Certificado de Solteria) to that effect must be presented.  This certificate should be issued in the country where you have been residing the last 2 years.  The American Citizen Services (ACS) unit does not issue such documents.  Generally, this requirement can be satisfied by signing a sworn statement attesting to your single status in front of a Panamanian notary.  Two witnesses, not related to you, must also make a sworn statement that you are single.
    For Panamanian citizens: The aforementioned certificates can be obtained at the Civil Registry Office on Avenida Peru, telephone number:  507-8000. 
  5. Two witnesses of legal age, not related to any of the parties (i.e. within the fourth grade of consanguinity or second degree of kinship or by adoption). This means the following people cannot serve as witnesses: brother/sister, cousin, uncle/aunt, nephew/niece, son/daughter-in-law, father/mother-in-law or brother/sister-in-law-of the couple to be married.
  6. Panamanian ID card (cedula) or passport with corresponding visa.

For detailed information in Spanish, go to the PanamaTramita website, and search for “contraer matrimonio.”