U.S.-Panama Trade Promotion Agreement Information
The United States and Panama signed a Trade Promotion Agreement (TPA), sometimes called a Free Trade Agreement (FTA), on June 28, 2007. Panama approved the TPA on July 11, 2007. The United States approved the TPA.
The TPA is a comprehensive free trade agreement. Under the TPA, there would be significant liberalization of trade in goods and services, including financial services. The TPA also includes important disciplines relating to customs administration and trade facilitation, technical barriers to trade, government procurement, investment, telecommunications, electronic commerce, intellectual property rights, and labor and environmental protection. The TPA will increase economic opportunities for both countries.
For more information about the TPA please view the below links:
- U.S. Ambassador to Panama: October 31 - Trade Agreement With Panama Refreshes Bilateral Relations
- IIP Digital: October 13 - Congress Approves Trade Agreements with Colombia, Panama
- U.S. Trade Representative: October 13 - Statement by the U.S. Trade Representative on U.S. ratification of the U.S.-Panama Trade Promotion Agreement
- White House: October 3 - Message from President Obama to Congress on the US Panama Trade Agreement
- Secretary of State Clinton’s: October 3 - Statement in Support of the US Panama Trade Agreement
- White House: April 28 - Remarks by President Obama and President Martinelli
- The White House: April 19 - Factsheets: US-Panama Trade Promotion Agreement
- US Department of Agriculture: U.S.–Panama Trade Promotion Agreement
- US Department of Commerce: Panama Trade Promotion Agreement
- US Trade Representative: Panama Trade Promotion Agreement
Government of Panama
- Ministerio de Comercio e Industrias: Tratado Panamá - Estados Unidos (Spanish)
- Gaceta Ofical: Ley 53 (2007): Tratado de Promoción Comercial Panamá-Estados Unidos (PDF 61K)
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.